Michael Philippou was born in Athens, Greece in 1959. He received his Diploma in Electrical Engineering in 1982 from the University of Patras and his Master’s degree in 1986, from Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York U.S.A.
During 1986-2001 he worked for Public Power Corporation of Greece (PPC SA) in several positions of responsibility, main of which are: Chief Dispatcher at the National Energy Control Center, Design Engineer, one of the Project Managers of the modern National Energy Control Center in Kryoneri, Attica, and Support Engineer of National Energy Control Center information systems for Production Units Automatic Control (Automatic Generation Control-AGC).
His professional involvement with LAGIE SA began in 2001 (HTSO SA at that time) being in several high ranking positions with duties relative to Electricity Market, Cross-border Trading, Renewable Energy Sources, Guarantees of Origin & Energy Mix, Cogeneration and Regulatory Affairs, whilst in 2004 he was appointed Director of the Day Ahead Scheduling Operations Department.
Following the spin-off of the HTSO, he remained at LAGIE S.A. and immediately assumed the duties of Executive Director of Power Exchange Department.
As from the 8th of March 2016 he is the President & CEO of LAGIE S.A.
His professional experience and expertise extends to the areas of:
- Economic Dispatch, Unit Commitment and Electricity Costing,
- Ancillary Services Engineering and Market Practices,
- Automatic Generation Control –AGC (Controller design and tuning),
- Real Time Generation (Data Base Modelling, Tuning and Maintenance),
- Architecture and Design of Energy Control Center Information Systems,
- Electricity Market – Cross Border Trading & Regulatory Practices.
His scientific expertise involves more than 30 publications in journals, roundtables and International Conferences.
He has served as Surveyor in European research projects:
- Esprit Project No 29172 / AMEBICA / EUROPEAN COMMISSION, DG XIII, December 1998 – June 2001, and
- Esprit Project No 27449 / ΙNTELEC / ΕUROPEAN COMMISSION, DG XIII, September 1999 – May 2000,
as well as technical manager of PPC in the European research project:
- Esprit Project No/22967 VENN/EUROPEAN COMMISSION, DG XIII, January 1997-January 2000
He has served as regular member in the Market Committee of European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity (ENTSO-E), from its foundation until January 2012.
He is member of the Technical Chamber of Greece, member of the Hellenic Association of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, regular member of the Greek National Committee of CIGRE and is included in Arbitrators List of the Regulatory Authority for Energy (RAE). Also, he is member of General Assembly of Europex – Association of European Energy Exchanges.